We’re talking about the classic white shirt and here’s why it’s a must-have…
It’s possibly the most versatile clothing piece you can own and absolutely everyone – from pregnant/breastfeeding/stay-at-home/working mammas – needs one of these in her life. In fact, I just checked, and I currently have 4. The great thing about a white shirt is it’s simple, smart, and exudes a crisp freshness (even if you don’t feel it). This trans-seasonal piece can be teamed with jeans, or dressed up with some large drop earrings and you’re good to go. It also looks pretty striking with my personal favourite – a bold red lip. And even though its white, the colour that seems to attract every spill and spew curtesy of your littles ones, it’s easy enough to throw in the washing machine and look like new again.
Scroll down to see 10 of the best to suit your budget…
- Bird Shirt, Ruby, $169. This one is perfection. I should know – I currently own two! It’s the perfect shape to be tucked into denim shorts or worn over your bikini on the beach.
2. Blouson Sleeve Shirt, Seed, $109. The billowing sleeve that gathers around the wristband is what sets this one aside from the others.
3. Sasha Shirt by Anine Bing, from Fabric, $279. Now, this is one you might have to save for special occasions because it is 100% silk – so not quite as child friendly. However – I just love the exaggerated cuffs with give it that ‘borrowed from a boyfriend’ look.
4. Shirt with Striped Trims, Zara, $49.90 (USD) The stripe trim and black buttons give a modernist update on the classic shirt. Best news is that Zara will soon be available to buy online from New Zealand. Until then, you’ll have to use YouShop from New Zealand Post to get it.
5. Cassi Shirt, by Maje, from The Iconic, $380 (AUS). If you’re unfamiliar with the label Maje, it’s a cute little French brand that is now available on The Iconic. The delicate collar detailing and wristbands are juxtaposed against the more masculine neck-tie.
6. Classic Shirt, Country Road, $159. The Mandarin-style collar gives a much more stream-like look. And I love how the extra-wide cuffs come with a cuff-link to go through the button-hole.
7. Everyday Blouse, Mahsa, $360. This is one of my favourites that I’ve been eyeing up. I absolutely adore the cropped sleeve and the way it’s elasticated which not only looks good, but also means you don’t have to waste time rolling up those sleeves when dealing with a mess.
8. Linen Shirt with Lace, Zara, $49.90 (USD). Linen is definitely the fabric du jour and this one has a bit of lace on the collar and pockets for added effect.
9. Kate Shirt, Harris Tapper, $415. Relatively new to the New Zealand fashion scene comes Harris Tapper which has proved to be a bit of a destination for shirts and blouses. I’m loving this crisp cotton shirt, particularly the elongated cuff and gold button detailing.
10. Linen Shirt, Trenery, $169. Like it’s name suggests this really is the classic linen shirt. Without any bells and whistles, it’s simplicity at its best.
Something Else You Might Like: Fashion Tips for the New Mum and Beyond